Rich and flavourful Chicken Rendang that will get you hooked. Substitute with beef or mutton according to your preference.
It is during Chinese New Year that my parents will host an "Open House". For those who are unfamiliar with the term, it literally means that the house is "open" for visitors to come by and savour the delicacies served. My mom would prepare a variety of dishes where 'chicken rendang' is one of them. It is a simple version which was shared with her by a Malay neighbour of ours. Since then, this dish would be prepared on special occasions. To many, cooking 'rendang' seems complicated. Do not be intimidated for this is a simple version for you to attempt. Trust me, this is delicious! If you have access to freshly grated coconut, that would be superb. I have to settle for desiccated coconut instead. Thankfully, it worked perfectly fine too. If you want the 'rendang' with more gravy, add in some water or more coconut milk. Allow it to simmer until desired consistency. Serve this with 'Nasi Lemak', the popular Malaysian dish or with white rice and noodles. You will love it!
Related Recipe Ideas
- 10 chilli peppers (fresh)
- 3 lemon grass stalk(s)
- 4 centimeters galangal
- 2 shallots
- 4 garlic clove(s)
- 450 grams chicken meat
- 3 kaffir lime leaves
- 150 milliliters coconut milk
- 50 grams coconut (desiccated or grated)
Steps to Prepare
- Lightly toast desiccated or grated coconut until golden brown. Remove from pan.
- Blend the ingredients listed in (A). Heat up a pan with oil at medium to high heat and cook the blended chilli paste until fragrant.
- Add toasted desiccated coconut. Mix evenly. Then, add chicken meat and stir-fry over medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes.
- After that, add coconut milk. For more gravy, add some water or more coconut milk.Add salt to taste. Cook until gravy thickens.
- Shortly before serving, add kaffir lime leaves. Mix well and serve hot.