Winter Melon is low in calories, high in nutrients and is also very refreshing.
As the weather gets colder, a bowl of Chinese slow cooked soup is most welcome any time. Nothing beats having a bowl of hot soup to warm the soul on cold winter days. There are many variations of Chinese soups which are generally known to be very nutritious. Different soups have different benefits, depending on the ingredients used. For this recipe, winter melon is the main ingredient. It not only helps to cool down the body heat but is also low in calories. Good recipe to try out especially for those who are health conscious! Have this bowl of soup as it is or have it to accompany a typical Chinese meal. Just like any other Chinese soups, you may substitute pork with chicken or anchovies. I especially like this soup cooked with pork though. The sweetness from the carrots and honey date makes this soup even more yummy!
Related Recipe Ideas
- 120 grams pork
- 1 tablespoons goji berries
- 1 centimeters ginger
- 5 red dates/jujube
- 1 honey date(s)
- winter melon (fresh)
- fish fillet
Steps to Prepare
- Remove seeds from winter melon and cut into cubes. Cut carrots into smaller pieces.
- Blanch pork in a pot of boiling water together with the ginger slices.
- In a clean pot, add water and allow it to boil. Add pork, goji berries, carrots, honey date and red dates once the water boils. Allow the soup to simmer at low heat for 70 minutes.
- Finally, add winter melon and allow soup to continue simmering for another 20 minutes.