Vegetables cooked with 'belacan' or shrimp paste never fails to stir up the appetite. This is one of the malaysian favourites!
'Belacan' can be very pungent. The smell itself can be such a turn off, especially to those who have no love for it! However, shrimp paste or 'belacan' actually enhances the flavours of many dishes in the Malaysian cuisine. One extremely famous vegetable dish cooked with 'belacan' is 'Kangkung Belacan' which uses water spinach. However for this recipe, I opted for french beans instead. French beans are crunchier whereas 'kangkung', a leafy vegetable is usually much softer after cooking. The crunchiness of the french beans together with the dried shrimps give more texture to this delicious dish. A spicy vegetables dish with an amazing taste!
Related Recipe Ideas
- 2 shallots
- 3 garlic clove(s)
- 1 tablespoons shrimps (dried)
- 6-7 chilli peppers (dried)
- 250 grams french beans
- 2 tablespoons oil
Steps to Prepare
- Soak dried shrimps and dried chillies separately in hot water for 10 minutes. Then, remove the seeds from the dried chillies. Cut ingredients (A) into smaller pieces and blend them. Do not blend too finely.
- Heat up 2 tablespoons of oil. Fry the blended ingredients until fragrant. Add 'belacan' and give the dish a few quick stirs.
- Add french beans and some water. Mix well. Simmer at low heat till the beans are cooked.