Roasted turkey recipe using asian herbs which guarantees tender and succulent meat. Perfect for Thanksgiving or Christmas.
In Malaysia, Christmas is widely celebrated, too. It may be pretty weird to see 'Santa Claus' and 'snow' when the temperature is at 35 degrees Celsius. Nevertheless, we love the spirit of Christmas and celebrate the joyous occasion with loved ones. The Christmas dinner menu ranges from Italian pasta, Indian curries with rice and noodles or the classic western dish like roasted turkey. In fact, turkeys are increasingly popular lately, therefore in great demand. For this recipe, I created a brine made up of some spices and herbs commonly used when cooking Malaysian cuisine. They not only provide an amazing taste but also deliver a wonderful aroma. The accompanying sauce to complement the roasted turkey is the black pepper sauce. It serves to enhance the taste of the succulent meat of the turkey. To make the dish more beautiful, I added some colourful vegetables and grilled them with a bit of olive oil, salt and a dash of pepper. Cooking this is time consuming but definitely well worth the effort!
Related Recipe Ideas
- 4 cups water
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1.5 tablespoons sweet soy sauce (kecap manis)
- 4 curry leaf stalk(s)
- 1 star anise
- 2 cinnamon stick(s)
- 2 lemon grass stalk(s)
- 2 garlic clove(s)
- 1 teaspoons ginger
Steps to Prepare
- To create the brine, add salt, sugar, soy sauce, garlic, ginger, lemon grass, curry leaves, star anise and cinnamon in warm water.
- Add some cold water to lower the temperature of the brine.
- Cover turkey in brine and refrigerate it overnight.
- The next day, rinse turkey and pat it dry.
- Rub butter and turmeric mixture on the inside and outside of the turkey.
- Stuff turkey with chilli, onion and lemon. Secure the drumsticks together with a string.
- Sprinkle some salt and pepper on turkey before baking.
- Bake turkey at 160 degrees Celsius for about 1 hour 15 minutes. Turkey is ready when the temperature of the breast is at 75 degrees Celsius.
- To prepare black pepper sauce, saute shallots and garlic with butter at medium heat until fragrant.
- Add water, sweet soy sauce and oyster sauce and let the gravy boil.
- Once it boils, add black pepper and milk. Allow gravy to simmer at low heat.
- After that, increase heat again, then add corn starch and water mixture to gravy.
- Serve turkey with grilled vegetables and black pepper sauce.