CategoryCondiments & Others
Yee Sang (or Yusheng) is a type of chinese salad and a significant dish for Chinese New Year.
Every Chinese New Year, I will be looking forward to 'Yu Sang' besides the red packets! It is always a fun event to gather with loved ones to toss this dish. It is a great way to celebrate the festive season with family, friends and colleagues. The dish itself symbolizes abundance and prosperity. This dish usually comprises of fish, a variation of vegetables and different sauces. Some versions come with salmon or jelly fish. The general rule to eating this dish is to toss the ingredients using chopsticks, as high as possible while expressing well wishes for the new year! It is believed that the higher you toss, the better your luck will be in the upcoming year. That is why, a messy table after tossing 'Yee Sang' is not a surprise! I definitely would not mind especially if good fortune is coming my way!
- 0.5 carrots
- 1/4 white radish
- ginger (pickled)
- 1 limes
- salmon (smoked)
- 1 pomelos
- 2 tablespoons plum sauce
- 1 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoons peanuts
- 0.5 teaspoons pepper
- 1 teaspoons five spice powder
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 30 grams butter
- 50 grams flour
Steps to Prepare
- Prepare the sauce by adding sesame oil and water into the plum sauce.
- Shred cucumber, carrots, raddish and also pomelo. Leave aside.
- Julienne taro into thin strips and divide them into two portions.
- Mix red and green food colouring into each of the portion respectively. Ensure the taro slices are evenly coated.
- To prepare crackers, add flour, salt and cold butter in a bowl. Rub flour into butter until the mixture is even and forms a dough.
- Add more flour if dough is still wet.
- Flatten dough and cut them into small rectangles. Fry cut dough until golden brown. Leave aside.
- Fry the taro slices.
- Assemble all ingredients on a plate with the salmon pieces in the centre.
- Add sauce, pepper, five spice powder and crushed peanuts onto the ingredients before tossing.