Dumplings are one of the must-have dishes during Chinese New Year and in this video, Joanna Soh and I are preparing just that!
Every Chinese New Year (CNY) which lasts for 15 days, we will be feasting all the way up till the very last day. Be it cookies, sweets, snacks, drinks or those sinfully delicious dishes, nothing would be spared. That is how most people usually gain weight during this time unless one has a will of iron to resist the goodies. If you want to have a healthy CNY spread instead, try preparing these vegetable dumplings as one of the many dishes served. It is really not that difficult. Also, you can eat to your heart's content without feeling guilty. As dumpling signifies prosperity because of its shape being similar to a gold ingot (sycee), this dish is perfect for family reunion or simply have it when you feel like taking a break from meat. The filling of the dumpling can even be eaten just as it is, without being wrapped. Light and yummy! Definitely a no fuss dish to have, not only during CNY but any day of the year too. Tip: For a vegetarian option, substitute oyster sauce with vegetarian mushroom sauce.
- 5 french beans
- 1 carrots
- 1 shallots
- 0.5 chilli peppers (fresh)
- 4 shiitake mushrooms
- 1 tofu (firm)
- wantan wraps
- 1 eggs
- 1 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons vinegar
Steps to Prepare
- Heat oil in pan and stir fry shallots until fragrant.
- Add carrots and french beans and cook for 30 seconds.
- Stir in tofu along with soy sauce and oyster sauce. Add chillies and cook for another 40-60 seconds.
- Leave stir fried ingredients to cool.
- Wrap a spoonful of stir fried ingredients using the wantan skin. Use the beaten egg to bind the wantan skin together.
- Heat oil in pan to sear the dumplings for 1 minute at medium heat.
- Add water into pan until it covers 1/3 of dumplings. Cover pan with lid and allow dumplings to cook until skin turns translucent.