A refreshing fruit and vegetables salad which is tangy and has a light tinge of spiciness.
'Rojak Buah Petis' is a Malaysian fruits and vegetables salad with a twist. Instead of eating fruits and vegetables as they are, this salad is eaten mixed with a special shrimp sauce. Thick shrimp paste having the consistency of molasses is used in this recipe. It is sweeter in flavour compared to others which are too salty. Most importantly, it complements well with the crunchy chilled fruits and vegetables. Preparation is rather simple because it mainly involves cutting and mixing the ingredients together evenly. All in all, I bet you would love this sweet and spicy salad once you try it.
- pineapple cubes
- 5 grams shrimp paste (dried)
- sesame seeds
- 3 tablespoons shrimp paste (petis udang)
- 1 cups Malaysian sweet soy sauce (kicap lemak manis)
- 1 chilli peppers (dried)
- 1 tablespoons sugar
Steps to Prepare
- Toast sesame seeds and nuts on a dry pan until fragrant. Leave aside and toast belacan.
- Blend dried chilies and toasted belacan.
- Add thick soy sauce, 'petis udang', water and sugar to pan. Cook at medium heat until sauce thickens. Leave aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, cut fruits and vegetables into bite size pieces.
- Mix sauce with the fruits and vegetables. Garnish with nuts and sesame seeds.