CategoryDesserts & Kuih
Asian dessert made with sago, plam sugar and coconut milk for parties or family gatherings.
Whenever I have guests coming over, I always prepare a full course meal along with dessert. While so much time had been spent in preparing the main dishes, a simple dessert that could be done in the shortest time possible is welcome. It would be most befitting if the dessert represents the flavours of Malaysia too. With that in mind, I would always settle for 'sago pudding with palm sugar' (gula melaka) due to its simplicity in preparations as well as its deliciousness! When completed, this pudding looks amazingly gorgeous especially when palm sugar (gula melaka) is drizzled over it. The exceptionally rich flavours of this dessert had my guests asking for seconds! Oh, yums! You will love it too. This recipe yields about 4 pieces of sago puddings although the coconut milk is sufficient for at least 8 - 12 pieces of the puddings.
Related Recipe Ideas
- 250 milliliters coconut milk
- 900 milliliters water
- 4 tablespoons sago
- 2-3 pandan leaves
- 2 tablespoons water
- 70 grams palm sugar (gula melaka)
Steps to Prepare
- Pour sago into boiling water to cook until it turns translucent. Optionally, rinse sago under running water to remove starch in order to have firm sago puddings.
- Mould sago into small bowls or in a muffin pan. Keep them in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
- Boil coconut milk with a dash of salt. Set aside. In a clean pot, melt palm sugar in water over low to medium heat along with pandan leaves. Mix well and set aside.
- Once sago pudding is ready, pour some coconut milk on it and drizzle palm sugar syrup over it.