CategoryRice & Noodles
Meat dumplings are made to celebrate the Dragon Boat Festival. Give these delightful nyonya dumplings a try.
Almost every year my mother will prepare these dumplings to be shared among family and close friends. The unique flavour of these Nyonya Dumplings will have you voting them as one of the most delicious asian meat dumplings, if not the best! Dried bamboo leaves can be found at the Asian grocer. Boil the dried bamboo leaves in hot water to soften them and remove any impurities. Wipe them with a clean towel. It is also advisable to have these leaves prepared one day earlier. Cooking the filling is not too difficult. However, wrapping these dumplings takes a lot of patience and can be rather tricky! Ensure they are not wrapped too tightly because the glutinous rice expands as it cooks. However, if the dumpling is loosely wrapped, the glutinous rice and filling may spill. Do not lose hope, though! Practice makes perfect! I had my fair share of frustrations initially when dealing with the wrapping procedure. These meat dumplings can be left at room temperature for a couple of days or for months if kept frozen. Simply steam them (without thawing) for at least 20 minutes before eating. Have fun experimenting with this recipe. You will be extremely proud of yourself once you see the result of your efforts.
Related Recipe Ideas
- 400 grams glutinous rice
- 200 grams chicken meat
- bamboo leave(s)
- pandan leaves
- 1 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoons fermented soybean paste (taucu)
- black pepper powder
- 6 shiitake mushroom(s)
- 1 garlic clove(s)
- 1 tablespoons coriander powder
- 60 grams winter melon (dried)
- butterfly pea flowers (dried)
Steps to Prepare
- Boil dried bamboo leaves and hemp strings. Wipe them clean.
- Blanch chicken meat for about 40 seconds. Then, mince the meat.
- Heat oil at medium heat.
- Fry garlic until fragrant and add mushroom to cook for about 2 minutes. Set aside.
- Add more oil to pan, fry garlic, fermented bean paste and black pepper.
- Mix coriander powder with a bit of water, then add it to the pan along with the cooked mushrooms.
- Once all ingredients are evenly mixed, add the chopped dried winter melon strips and minced meat.
- If mixture is too dry, add some water.
- Add salt to taste.
- Sauté ingredients until excess water dries up. Then, set aside.
- Soak butterfly pea flower in warm water for 30 minutes.
- Remove flowers and soak 1/3 of glutinous rice with the coloured water. Soak the rest of the glutionous rice in plain water with some salt. Leave overnight.
- To wrap dumpling, make a cone shape with 2 pieces of bamboo leaves. Place a small piece of pandan leaf and a small amount of blue coloured glutinous rice.
- Add meat filling.
- Cover filling with white glutinous rice.
- Fold into a triangular shape.
- Secure wrapping with hemp strings.
- Boil for at least 2.5 hours.
- Once ready, allow access water to drip from the dumplings.