CategoryRice & Noodles
Nasi Lemak, the national and traditional dish of Malaysia, is rice cooked in coconut milk and with pandan leaves. Also popular in Singapore and Brunei!
Here is the best recipe to make your own Nasi Lemak Sambal easily. The meaning of Nasi Lemak is literally "Rice" and "Fat". However, the term "Fat" refers to the creaminess of the coconut milk. Nasi Lemak is a very popular dish that is widely available be it at roadside stalls, markets, food courts in shopping malls or even in 5 stars hotels. It is also sold prepacked at 'mamak' eateries too. The fragrance of this dish comes from the rice which is infused with coconut milk. 'Nasi lemak' is usually accompanied by 'sambal ', fried anchovies, slices of cucumber, fried or hard boiled egg, curry chicken, squids sambal, fried fish or rendang chicken. The list could go on according to individual preference. It is actually a wholesome meal by itself and can be taken any time of the day. Of course, do not forget the cup of 'teh tarik' to complement it! As simple as it may seem, the preparation can be quite tedious. Cooking the sambal a day before may shorten the cooking time. Fry the anchovies until golden brown and lightly fry the peanuts to prevent them from burning. Remove from the pan immediately because the heat from the oil will continue cooking them. On the other hand, if you do not like peanuts, just omit them. It will not affect the deliciousness of this dish. Also check out the recipe for Sambal and Chicken Rendang to complement your ideal dish of 'Nasi Lemak'.
Related Recipe Ideas
- 1 cups rice
- 1.5 cups water
- 75 milliliters coconut milk
- 2 pandan leaves
- 1 lemon grass stalk(s)
- 2 egg(s)
Steps to Prepare
- Wash the rice and put into a pot. Then, add coconut milk, water, a pinch of salt, pandan leaves (knotted) and lemongrass into the pot. Optionally, you may add 2 cardamom
- Bring to boil, then lower heat to minimum and cover the pot with the lid. Allow rice to cook for 15 to 20 minutes. The liquid should dry up and holes appear on the surface. Turn off the stove and leave the lid on for another 10 minutes before serving the rice.
- Fry peanuts (with the skin) over medium heat until browned. Ensure oil is hot before frying the peanuts. Remove peanuts, add anchovies and fry until golden brown or crispy.
- Serve coconut rice with side dishes such as boiled or fried egg, fried peanuts, fried anchovies, Sambal and Chicken Rendang. To make dish more fragrant, serve it on banana leaf.