CategoryDesserts & Kuih
Non-chocolate easter eggs recipe which doubled up as a fun activity for kids or as an awesome Easter party treat. Try it out!
When I was younger, my mom often made these for my sister and I. If I am not mistaken, she made them too while she was growing up back then. We always look forward to having these egg jellies for they are not only cute but also delicious. The combination of cream corn which is sweet along with the agar-agar when chilled make this fun dessert a treat anytime. In Germany, Easter is often celebrated with lots of chocolate. It is difficult to enjoy chocolates especially when I am not a big fan. Thankfully, we have these jellies with cream corn as a substitute! To make it look even more like actual eggs, use soy bean milk instead of water to create the jelly. If you do so, reduce the amount of sugar as soy bean milk is already sweetened. To create the patterns, you can either dye the eggs or paint the egg shells with food colouring. I created these Easter egg decorations using sharpie or marker pens. I immediately fell in love with the combination of the white and black theme. I googled to ensure that it is safe to use sharpie to decorate the egg shells. It seems this is not a new idea and it's safe too. I noticed that the ink did not seep through the egg shell. To get a clear design, just ensure you take the eggs out of the fridge after chilling them and leave aside for about 10 minutes. Then you can work on a dry surface. Have fun creating whatever designs that take your fancy!
Related Recipe Ideas
- 10 egg shells
- 2 pandan leaves
- 10 teaspoons creamed corn
- 5 grams agar-agar powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 650 milliliters water
Steps to Prepare
- Prepare shells by creating a small hole at the top of the eggshells using a knife or chopstick. Wash and dry thoroughly.
- In a pot, boil water along with agar-agar powder, sugar and pandan leaves. Allow mixture to boil for at least 5 minutes.
- Fill each eggshell with some cream corn. Pour agar-agar mixture into egg shells.
- Let it cool and put in the fridge to chill. Optionally, decorate egg shells. Serve chilled.