Easy Cendol drink recipe, a vegan dessert that is typically found in South East Asia especially Malaysia
'Cendol' or rice flour jelly drink with coconut milk is a sweet and refreshing dessert popular in Malaysia. It has been declared a Malaysian heritage food by the Malaysian Department of National Heritage. The ingredients consists mainly of green rice flour jelly, palm sugar and coconut milk. It is sold by vendors at roadsides, hawker centres and food courts. It doubles up as a delicious thirst quencher especially on days when the weather is scorching hot. The combination of the palm sugar along with the coconut milk blends perfectly. These days, the addition of cream corn and kidney beans adds some texture to this amazing drink. In this recipe, glutinous rice is also added to further enhance the taste. You may omit the accompaniments if you love it authentic and simple. For a lighter version, the thickness of the coconut milk may be diluted according to your preference.
Related Recipe Ideas
- 55 grams rice flour
- 25 grams corn flour
- 15 grams mungbean flour (hung kwe flour)
- 4 tablespoons glutinous rice
- creamed corn
- kidney beans
- 290 grams palm sugar (gula melaka)
- 150 milliliters pandan leaf extract
- coconut milk
Steps to Prepare
- Soak glutinous rice for at least 4 hours. Pour away excess water and steam for 15 minutes. Once cooked, add a bit of coconut milk and a pinch of salt to the glutinous rice. Mix it thoroughly. Leave aside to cool.
- Dissolve palm sugar with a bit of water together with a piece of knotted pandan leaf at low heat. Set aside.
- Blend pandan leaves with a bit of water to get pandan extract. Mix rice flour, corn flour, mung bean flour, salt and pandan extract together. Pour mixture into a pot and cook over low heat until it thickens and becomes glossy.
- Prepare a bowl of water with some ice cubes. Put mixture into the side of a plastic bag and snip off the tip. Squeeze plastic bag to allow strands of rice flour jelly to drop into the bowl of cold water.
- In a glass or mug, scoop some palm sugar, rice flour jelly, cream corn, kidney beans and some glutinous rice. Top up with ice cubes and coconut milk, which has been added with a pinch of salt and diluted with a bit of water.