The simplest bean sprouts recipe
Bean sprouts are usually used as an accompanying ingredient in many Asian dishes especially noodles. Vietnamese cuisine uses bean sprouts generously in their dishes like Pho, for example. However, they are usually served raw. In Malaysia, bean sprouts are often served cooked and enjoyed. Do not be taken in by its dull appearance thinking that this dish is not worth a try. Let me begin by sharing some facts with you. Bean sprouts are low in calories and rich in Vitamin C. Above all, the cooking process is pretty quick and it can also be eaten raw. This recipe requires only blanching the bean sprouts for about 60 seconds. That way, the bean sprouts will still maintain its crunchiness. Preparing the accompanying sauce will also requires no more than a minute. However, I am a little picky when preparing bean sprouts. They first need to have the roots and the beans removed. This will take a bit of time but it will be worth it as the dish would be clean and look more presentable. It is highly important to clean bean sprouts well as they can be very easily contaminated. Hence, cleaning and cooking the bean sprouts will reduce the risk of contamination. Many of us sometimes enjoy bean sprouts with some small bits of fried salted fish and fresh slices of chilies sprinkled on the dish. This definitely makes the dish so much more appetising. In this recipe, bean sprouts is served with a sprinkle of fried garlic. This dish is also served as an accompaniment with Hainanese chicken rice.
Related Recipe Ideas
- bean sprouts
- 1 garlic clove(s)
- 0.25 teaspoons white pepper
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 0.5 tablespoons sugar
Steps to Prepare
- Heat pan at medium heat.
- Add oil and allow it to heat up.
- Add diced garlic to heated oil and fry until golden brown. Then, set aside.
- Pour soy sauce, sugar and water into pan.
- Cook until sugar dissolves and set gravy aside.
- Using the same pan, boil water to blanch bean sprouts for about 60 seconds.
- Dish out blanched bean sprouts and pour gravy onto them.
- Garnish with fried garlic and optionally, spring onions and red chilli slices.