CategoryDesserts & Kuih
Black glutinous rice in coconut milk. This dessert is easy enough to prepare for home gatherings or even larger parties.
Using unpolished black glutinous rice instead of whole grain white glutinous rice makes this dessert more interesting due to its colour. Once cooked, it looks rather purplish black, thus adds a mysterious feel to it. However, every spoonful would bring a big smile to your face. This, I can assure you after having served this dessert to friends of so many nationalities who gave a thumbs up after tasting it. Due to its colour and their unfamiliarity to black glutinous rice, be prepared to have a fun conversation as you savour this delightful dessert. In this recipe, I combined the usage of both the palm and rock sugar. Both types of sugar are milder in sweetness compared to castor sugar. Nevertheless, castor sugar can also be used in this recipe. The usage of the combination of the palm and rock sugar makes this dessert less sweet. It has a very light undertone of sweetness due to the rock sugar. The light nutty sweetness in this dessert is contributed by the palm sugar. While we are on the topic of palm sugar, try to get your hands on the Malaysian palm sugar which is much darker. Thai palm sugar which is lighter in colour tends to be less intense in flavour. I would normally serve this dessert chilled. My guests were definitely intrigued, especially when it was served together with another favourite dessert of many, the Vanilla dessert with some coconut milk drizzled on it. Not very traditional, perhaps? Anyway, there was no complaint!
- 4 tablespoons glutinous rice
- coconut milk
- 70 grams rock sugar
- 30 grams palm sugar (gula melaka)
- 2 pandan leaves
- 800 milliliters water
Steps to Prepare
- Soak black glutinous rice for at least 5 hours.
- Boil water with black glutinous rice at high heat.
- Add pandan leaves.
- Let it simmer at low heat for for 30 minutes till the black glutinous rice puffed up.
- Add sugar according to preference. White sugar can be added to make the dessert sweeter.
- Optionally, prepare 1 teaspoon of corn flour with water and stir it into the pot to thicken the dessert.
- Serve warm or chilled with a drizzle of coconut milk.