CategoryRice & Noodles
Nasi Lemak, the national dish of Malaysia, is rice cooked in coconut milk and served with spicy accompaniments.
Without a doubt, 'nasi lemak' is regarded as the national dish of Malaysia. It is a very popular dish that is widely available be it at roadside stalls, markets, food courts in shopping malls or even in 5 stars hotels. It is also sold prepacked at 'mamak' shops too. The fragrance of this dish comes from the rice which is infused with coconut milk. 'Nasi lemak' is usually accompanied with 'sambal', fried anchovies, slices of cucumber, fried or hard boiled egg, curry chicken, squids sambal, fried fish or rendang chicken. The list could go on according to individual preference. It is actually a wholesome meal by itself and can be taken any time of the day. Of course, do not forget the cup of 'teh tarik' to complement it! As simple as it may seem, the preparation can be quite tedious. Cooking the sambal a day before may shorten the cooking time. Fry the anchovies till golden brown and lightly fry the peanuts to prevent them from burning. Remove from the pan immediately because the heat from the oil will continue cooking them. On the other hand, if you do not like peanuts, just omit them. It will not affect the deliciousness of this dish. Also check out the recipe for Sambal and Chicken Rendang to complement your ideal dish of 'Nasi Lemak'.
- 1 cups rice
- 1.5 cups water
- 75 milliliters coconut milk
- 2 pandan leaves
- 1 lemon grass stalks
- 2 eggs
Steps to Prepare
- Wash the rice and put into a pot.
- Add coconut milk and water.
- Add pandan leaves (knotted) and lemon grass. Add some salt to coconut milk.
- Bring to boil, then lower heat to minimum and cover the pot with the lid.
- Allow rice to cook for 15 to 20 minutes. The liquid should dry up and holes appear on the surface.
- Switch off the stove and leave the lid on for another 10 minutes before serving the rice.
- To prepare the side dishes, fry peanuts (with the skin) at medium heat until browned. Ensure oil is hot before frying the peanuts. Remove peanuts, add anchovies and fry until golden brown or crispy.