CategoryRice & Noodles
'Nasi lemak' wrapped in banana leaf is a popular breakfast choice among locals in Malaysia.
This is actually the same 'nasi lemak' recipe which I have uploaded some time back. The only difference is that it is now served wrapped attractively instead. This is sold economically at most of the muslims and 'mamaks' restaurants without the frills, just with the basic accompaniments like sambal, fried anchovies, cucumber, peanuts and a slice of hard boiled egg. Now, you can have the thrill of learning how to prepare it and feel the satisfaction of having delicious home cooked, beautifully wrapped 'nasi lemak', just like those sold in restaurants, in the comfort of your own home. The banana leaf will enhance the fragrance of the 'nasi lemak'. Of course, there is no stopping you from putting more accompaniments into each pack. Enjoy together with a cup of 'teh tarik' or the favourite beverage of your choice! Hmmmm..simply blissful!
- banana leaves
Steps to Prepare
- Prepare 'nasi lemak', 'sambal', hard boiled or fried eggs, fried anchovies, slices of cucumber and roasted peanuts.
- Have some banana leaves (clean with damp paper towel) and newspapers ready.
- Fluff up the 'nasi lemak' .
- Place a piece of banana leaf (with the smoother side facing upwards) on a piece of newspaper.
- Scoop rice into a bowl and compact it lightly. Overturn it onto the middle of the banana leaf.
- Add a spoonful of peanuts, some fried anchovies, slices of cucumber, a slice of egg and of course, the 'sambal'.
- Lift both sides of the newspaper and fold in the ends leaving a pointed edge in the centre.