CategoryRice & Noodles
Hainanese Chicken Rice is a classic dish in Malaysia and Singapore. A step to step guide to create scrumptious chicken rice!
Chicken rice is easily available in Malaysia and Singapore. You can choose which part of the chicken you desire when placing your order. This dish is wholesome and complete as it comes with rice, chicken, slices of cucumber and a bowl of soup. Talk about having all types of nutrients on a plate. This is it! Accompanying the dish are different sauces like soy sauce and chilli sauce. These contribute to the special flavour of which this chicken rice is well known for. The combination of the refreshing cucumber slices, the delicious chicken and the aromatic rice teaming up with the chilli and soy sauce makes every mouthful a delight. To enhance the sweetness of the soup, you may add radish and/or carrots. A dash of white pepper would make a whole lot of difference to the taste. Cook this for your family and friends. They will be impressed and appreciate your effort. If you are only cooking for 1 or 2 people, use chicken thighs instead of a whole chicken. Stuff the ginger and scallions between two chicken thighs and secure them with strings.
- chicken meat
- 2 scallions
- 5 centimeters ginger
- 1 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoons sesame oil
- 600 grams rice
- 1 pandan leaves
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 centimeters ginger
- 1 shallots
- 1.5 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1.5 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons chilli sauce (raw)
- 1 tablespoons chicken stock
- 1 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoons shaoxing wine
- 1 tablespoons sugar
Steps to Prepare
- Lightly rub salt on the outside of the chicken. Pat dry.
- Pour soy sauce into the inside of the chicken and spread it evenly.
- Stuff chicken with ginger and spring onions. Secure drumsticks with a string.
- Boil chicken in a pot with enough water covering it.
- Add spring onion, carrots and/or raddish.
- Once soup boils, turn the chicken over and let soup simmer for 20 minutes with the lid on.
- Remove chicken from pot and dip in a bowl of iced water for 10 seconds.
- Set aside and gloss with sesame oil and salt mixture.
- To prepare rice, melt some chicken fats at medium heat in a pot.
- Fry garlic, ginger and shallots with the oil until fragrant.
- Add pandan leaves and rice to pot. Stir well.
- Add soup into pot of rice at 2:1 ratio and cook at high heat until it boils.
- Once it starts boiling, reduce to the lowest heat to allow rice to cook. It should take about 20 minutes.
- To prepare soy sauce, mix sugar, Shao Xing wine and chicken soup together evenly.
- To prepare chilli sauce, mix 'cili garam' (raw chilli sauce) with some chicken soup.
- Assemble and garnish Hainanese chicken rice with slices of cucumber.