Stingray is delicious when marinated with spicy chili paste and grilled. This dish reminds me of splendid Malaysia!
As a passionate lover of grilled fish, I am very specific about the type of fish used. No matter how I see it, It has to be stingray. Stingray is not easily found in Germany. When I chance upon it at the local fish market, I knew I just have to whip up this fantastic dish. There is no way I am going to let the opportunity pass. Besides that, it has also been such a long time since I last had Malaysian grilled fish. The spicy marinade filled with herbs makes this Malaysian grilled fish one of its kind. If you are not able to find stingray, try looking out for skate which belongs to the same family. They should be very similar. Else, you can opt for any other type of white fish. One way of enhancing the flavour of this dish is to grill the fish over a piece of banana leaf. It can then be served with a bit of calamansi juice or lime juice squeezed over it. To accompany the grilled fish, it would be best to prepare the dip using a combination of soy sauce, shallots, chillies and lime/calamansi juice. Every mouthful would leave you begging for more. I introduced this dish to my friends who are non-Malaysians and they were hooked. I bet you would as well once you give it a try!
- 0.5 tablespoons sugar
- 0.5 teaspoons salt
- 0.5 teaspoons turmeric powder
- 3 teaspoons tamarind paste
- banana leaves
- 4 shallots
- 1 lemon grass stalks
- 3 centimeters galangal
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 chilli peppers (fresh)
- 5 grams shrimp paste (dried)
Steps to Prepare
- Toast shrimp paste on dry pan until fragrant.
- Blend lemon grass, shallots, garlic, galangal, chillies and tumeric powder together.
- Sauté blended ingredients until they change to a darker shade and become more fragrant.
- Add shrimp paste, tamarind juice and a tablespoon of water.
- Add salt and sugar to taste. Set chilli paste aside to cool at room temperature.
- Marinate stingray with chilli paste for at least 30 minutes before grilling on banana leaves.
- Enjoy fish with a bit of calamansi/lime juice and the soy sauce, shallots, chillies and calamansi/lime juice mixture as a dip.