Quick stir fry broccoli with scallops. A popular and healthy vegetable dish especially during Chinese New Year or family gatherings.
Dishes served during Chinese New Year are often meaningful to ensure a good and auspicious start to a new year. Just like many other things symbolic with the Chinese community, one of the must have dishes selected for the reunion dinner is Broccoli with Braised Mushrooms and Scallops. Broccoli, which looks like flowers on trees signifies the blossoming of new beginnings. The scallops represent opportunities in abundance while the mushrooms signify fortune in leaps and bounds. There you are, each ingredient carries its own beautiful meaning. That explains why this dish is rather popular on this significant day! It would be great if you are able to get hold of fresh scallops as it definitely makes a difference to the dish as it enhances the sweetness of the gravy. Hydrate the shiitake mushrooms long enough to ensure plumped and juicy mushrooms.
- 0.5 broccoli
- 6 scallops
- 6 shiitake mushrooms
- 70 milliliters water
- 1 tablespoons shaoxing wine
- 1 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 garlic cloves
- 0.5 tablespoons corn flour
Steps to Prepare
- Blanch broccoli for about 2 minutes in boiling water.
- Transfer broccoli to a bowl of iced water.
- Heat oil in wok, then sauté garlic at medium heat until fragrant.
- Add mushrooms and water in which the mushrooms were soaked. Bring to boil.
- Then, add oyster sauce and wine. Allow it to simmer at low heat for about 3-5 minutes.
- Add scallops and increase heat to let gravy boil again. Once it boils, lower heat to let it simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add salt and white pepper to taste.
- Thicken gravy with a mixture of corn flour and water.
- Place mushrooms, scallops and gravy together with broccoli.