A typical 'Nyonya' dish, the Assam Prawns has always been my dad's favourite. I hope it will be yours too.
Assam Prawns is one of the many 'peranakan' dishes I grew up with. Preparing a dish could not be any simpler than this. With just some salt, sugar and the core ingredient, tamarind paste, a marvelous dish is created! It is without a doubt that this dish is very appetizing, with the sweetness of the prawns and the sourish taste of the tamarind paste infused together creating an amazing flavour. It takes 30 minutes to marinade but the cooking duration should only take 10 minutes and you will be enjoying a flavourful dish of tamarind fried prawns! This is a perfect after work recipe using minimal ingredients and a short preparation time. Don't we just love easy, fast and delicious dishes?
- 400 grams prawns
- 2 tablespoons tamarind paste
Steps to Prepare
- Marinate the prawns with 2 tablespoons of tamarind paste.
- Add some salt and sugar to taste.
- If the tamarind paste is too thick, add some water.
- Stir fry the prawns at medium to low heat until the tamarind juice dries up.