CategoryDesserts & Kuih
Colourful crêpe recipe with fresh fruits and whipping cream for parties or as desserts
To be honest, I do not know when this cute creation started in Malaysia. I can only tell you that it has been added to my list of favourites ever since I chance upon it. Look at them, they looked puffed up and soft like a big fat pillow! As whipping cream is used, it is obvious that these fruit crepes are very tender. These Asian Crepes, as I call them, are commonly sold at small stalls in shopping malls around Malaysia. Durian Crepe is however the more common flavour to be found. I remember running to one of these stalls excitedly when I was back in Kuala Lumpur a few years ago when I spotted it from afar. To prepare these Asian Crêpes, I used a 25 cm pan (the only non-stick pan I own) which is not an ideal size because it is too big, thus creates too many folds. It makes the wrap slightly thicker than it normally is. I would recommend a pan size of 20cm for the best Asian Crêpe. Also, do remember to oil the pan before use so that the crepe could be easily removed. When I made the crepes, some of them did not turn out to be fully rounded due to the big pan I was using. If that happens, fret not because the crepe should be just big enough to wrap the intended filling. Besides using mangoes, strawberries and durian, be creative to use any of your favourite fruit instead! If you only plan to have one flavour, just replace the strawberry extract and pandan extract with plain water. You can find out how to get pandan extract from the 'kaya' recipe video while strawberry extract was just plain strawberry juice which I made. Do give this recipe a try and be prepared for the delightfulness when you sink your teeth into these naturally coloured desserts as you savour the sweetness of the fruits and the lightness of the whipping cream.
- 50 milliliters strawberry extract
- 50 milliliters pandan leaf extract
- 50 milliliters water
- 300 grams whipping cream
- 30 grams wheat flour
- 15 grams custard flour
- 50 grams tapioca flour
- 65 milliliters milk
- 100 milliliters water
- 1 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoons sugar
- 1 eggs
Steps to Prepare
- Beat whipping cream until stiff.
- Mix ingredients A and run the batter through a sieve.
- Then, separate them into 3 bowls to add pandan extract, strawberry extract and water respectively.
- Once the batter is mixed well, pour a thin layer onto pan which has been heated on medium heat.
- Remove crepe skin once it solidifies.
- Place a spoonful of whipping cream in the middle of the crepe skin followed with a spoonful of fruits.
- Wrap crepe to shape a fluffy "pillow".
- Serve chilled.