Asian's nutritional dessert using snow fungus. This is an easy and healthy dessert recipe.
When it comes to Asian cuisine, 'Tong Shui' or literally translated as 'sugar water' deserves a mention as it is a favourite option for dessert. These desserts are not only sweet as the name suggests but comes along with nutritional values. There are just too many of these desserts to be named but one of them is Apple and Snow Fungus Soup. Snow fungus contains very high percentage of collagen and therefore, it is a 'magical' food for the skin. Chinese ladies uses this as a cheaper option to expensive herbs for beautiful skin. Apricot seeds used are of the 南杏 (south) and 北杏 (north) types. They may look similar but they are different! South and north apricot seeds and red dates have lots of vitamins. Thus, this dessert is power packed with goodness and you do not need to feel guilty when indulging in it. This dessert may be served either cold or warm, depending on your preference. Great for winter and even the very warm weather to cool the body heat. Just because this dessert has lots of vitamins, you should not simply over indulge. As it is "cooling to the body", enjoy this dessert moderately.
- 1 liters water
- 1 apples
- snow fungus
- 4 red dates (jujube)
- 70 grams rock sugar
- 0.5 tablespoons apricot seeds (north)
- 0.5 tablespoons apricot seeds (south)
Steps to Prepare
- Hydrate snow fungus by soaking them in water overnight or for at least 4 hours.
- Once snow fungus softens, remove areas which are hard.
- Add apple, red dates, apricot seeds and snow fungus to boiling water.
- Allow to simmer for about 30 minutes or until apple softens.
- Sweeten with rock sugar.
- Enjoy it chilled or warm.