A special cake eaten during Chinese New Year and a very interesting story behind this cake, Kuih Bakul. It’s sticky, sweet and definitely a treat to all! Gong xi fa cai to all.
Watch the recipe video for the steamed Kuih Bakul.
Watch the recipe video for the fried Kuih Bakul.
- 220g Glutinous Rice Flour
- 300g Sugar
- 220g Water
- Banana Leaves
Steps to prepare
- Soak banana leaves in warm water for at least 30 minutes.
- Cut banana leaves according to the shape of the container or bowl used. Ensure that the smoother surface of the banana leaves would be in touch with the ingredients.
- Surround container with at least 2-3 layers of banana leaves.
- Add water to the flour (sifted) and mix well to create a dough.
- Then, add water and knead the mixture until it turns fluid.
- Allow mixture to sit for 15 minutes.
- Pour the mixture carefully into the container.
- Steam the mixture for 10-12 hours with a piece of cloth over the container.
- The Steamed Rice Cake (Kuih Bakul) must be kept for 2-3 days before consuming.