In our first video, we want to show you how to cook a delicious Malay dish called “Ayam Masak Kicap”, which literally means chicken cooked in soy sauce. We hope you enjoy it!
- 600g chicken
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 star anise
- 1 tsp of honey
- 2 tbsp of dark soy sauce
- Salt and sugar to taste
- Oil (to fry)
Ingredients to blend (see 1 below)
- 2 small onions or 1 big onion
- 3 – 4 cm of ginger
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 chili
Steps to prepare
- Blend the ingredients mentioned above. Add 1 tablespoon of water if its not blended throughly.
- Heat up some oil to fry the chicken.
- To fry the chicken, sprinkle some corn flour on to the chicken.
- Add some oil into the pan to saute the blended ingredients.
- When the blended chili has slightly darkened, add the dark soy sauce.
- Let the gravy simmer and add a few dashes of salt.
- Add 1 tsp of honey into the gravy and optionally, sugar.
- When the sauce thickens, give it a stir and add the fried chicken into the gravy.
- Let the chicken cook with the gravy for 15 minutes. Make sure you stir from time to time.
- Serve the dish!